Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sometimes I Just Miss My Cousin

I wasn't raised with any sisters. I inherited sisters as my brothers grew up and married beautiful, wonderful women. But then I had married sisters, and it's just not quite the same. So the closest thing I had growing up was a cousin (two really, but one a little closer). Jacki and I went swimming and tanning together, ate regularly at Del Taco, had insanely different music preferences, took Calligraphy together, lived together at BYU, made a lot of cheese enchiladas, and we moved home at the same time so we saw each other all the time. I love Jacki. We spent a lot of time together growing up, and then a lot of time together in college. We even watched West Side Story together (I feel that especially bonds people). And when we were here this summer, and I somehow managed to get the lamest dates ever, Jacki made them into third wheel extravaganzas and we still had fun. She was the one who came to get me from Sundance, in the snow, having to get off work, when I tore my ACL. She drove me to my final, got me crutches and spent the night with me to make sure I was ok before going to the hospital the next day. I just love my dear cousin Jacki. The only problem is that she is now on a mission in El Salvador, and while I am so happy for my dear cousin and she deserves all the happiness ever, I miss her an insane amount.
Every time I see something funny, I immediately think, "Oh, I need to tell Jacki!". With every 'indubitably' and 'indeed' that escapes my mouth, I think of Jacki, and eating at the Cheesecake Factory, watching Pride and Prejudice, or celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving. Especially now, as I wait for my family to come for Christmas, I keep forgetting that I'm not waiting for Jacki. I keep trying to remind myself which day she is coming, and I keep forgetting that she's not. So I just wanted to dedicate this little blog to my FC. I love you Kacki and I wish you a happy Christmas and wonderful mission!!

4 comments: