Friday, September 30, 2011

Longfellow

I love Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I just think he is the cat's meow. About a year ago, I read a book entitled The Dante Club, and I really enjoyed it. I found it at The Goodwill for like $.50. I really liked The Divine Comedy and it was set in Boston, so I thought this would be a good fit for me. Well, oddly enough, it wasn't the Dante nor the Boston that was most intriguing for me. The most fascinating aspect of the book was the profile of Longfellow; it has a wonderful portrait of Longfellow enveloped within its pages. The story was predominately cast in Cambridge, with a large portion happening inside the Longfellow study. It showcased the poet's affection towards his children, especially his daughters, the pain of losing his wife, and the joy he found in writing poetry.
When I looked up the address for the church building in Cambridge, I thought it was a fluke. It was located on Longfellow Park. But upon arrival, I saw the yellow house so ardently described in the pages I had read. For several weeks, I walked past the house, and walked through the gardens, but never ventured inside. I finally went for an official tour on Thursday, and it was so interesting. And that Longfellow Park? Donated by Longfellow to the city of Cambridge upon his death so the house could always have an unobstructed view of the Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment