Friday, March 5, 2010

I don't get it

I love reading, I always have. I will read just about anything. Heck, I even read Twilight. I just like to read. Words on paper make me soo happy. I endlessly read blogs, and books, and magazines. I read a book of survival scenerios last week. I don't even know why. But then, here is the thing, I hate when I am assigned reading. Suddenly it's a chore. I can't hate it more. I remember reading assignments in high school, I was loathe to read them. And they were some of my favorite books!! (A Tale of Two Cities, Of Mice and Men, and Dante's Inferno are some examples) This has always puzzled me. I can understand my dislike of reading text books (especially the ones that think they are funny. Physical science is not funny BYU. It's just not. Deal with it), but I hate being forced into novels.
So then the plot thickens, I also love to exercise. I love hiking, and biking, and swimming, and being outdoors. I'm not much of a sports person, but I genuinely enjoy moving about. So, you would think I would enjoy all my free exercise gym time and do whatever I want. But I don't. I get so overwhelmed with all the things I can do, I end up just leaving. To solve this I decided to start taking some classes - which I was afraid of because I hate when people force me to do things I like. But wouldn't you know it - I absolutely LOVE IT! I LOVE when the cycle guy yells at me to turn up the resistance. I love that I don't have to decide how many squats to do, or how much weight to do it with. There is someone, who - let's face it, has hardly anymore experience than me or anyone else in the class - has thought out all these ideas of what to do next. "Hill climb - 20 minutes, then sprints, and a few rollers at the end." How marvelous. So as I sit there thinking my legs are about to fall off, or maybe my lungs will explode, I'm as happy as a clam.
What is that about?!

No comments:

Post a Comment