Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fromage Roulette

Many of you may not know, but I like to live life on the wild side. Indeed, sometimes I can be quiet the rebel. One of my favorite ways to live dangerously is to play Cheese Roulette. Cheese or Fromage (depending on my mood) Roulette started with an over abundance of cheese. I pick up a new cheese just about every time I go to the store, and I had acquired quite a collection. So I decided to make a grilled cheesy sandwich - one of my very favorite things. But I had so many cheeses, which ones would go well together? And that's when Cheese Roulette was born.
At first it was pretty tame, a quick jaunt over the line of convention. Things like Fontina and Mozzarella, or Jarlsberg and Gouda. Then as cheeses came and went, it became a necessities game. I had cheddar, Monterrey, and Manchego - which to choose? Sometimes the combinations were clear winners, and other times they were less than satisfying.
Which leads us to my adventure today. Today I had a variety of cheese left over from a Grilled Cheese Party I hosted a couple weeks ago. I took out my great bag of cheeses and saw that goat cheese was winning in the quantity department. I don't eat a lot of goat cheese so I decided to cut down on the amount. As I put the goat cheese on the bread, I thought some mozzarella would add some stringiness to the otherwise crumbly goat cheese sandwich. As I was getting the mozzarella I remembered how good bacon was. Unfortunately, I did not have any bacon. but I did have turkey bacon from a failed attempt at going on the P90X diet. As I was in the fridge getting the turkey bacon, I saw strawberries. Strawberries would definitely offset the goat cheese and add a lovely sweet and juicy flavor to the salty turkey bacon. So together they all went: butter, bread, goat cheese, mozzarella, turkey bacon, and strawberries.
I'm not going to lie to you, at this point I was seriously worried about my sandwich. It was 9 pm after I worked a long shift and came home to wash my car and bundle stray twigs. I was hungry. And this sandwich looked, well... ambitious.
While I cannot say this will be appearing on Wolfgang's next frozen pizza creation, or even at an ambitious fusion restaurant, I can say that it was pretty tasty. It might not be a Drew, but it was a unique little blend of things that filled my belly and intrigued my taste buds. So next time anyone has an abundance of cheese and is feeling a little dangerous - to them I say, Walk on the wild side, and play Cheese Roulette. Because even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment