Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday

After waking up and finding out out what I will be doing for the next two years, I celebrated. First I went and got my favorite pastry and ate it at the Eiffel Tower. It was a little chilly out, but mostly sunny. I walked around the 7th arrondisment for a little while, just enjoying my life and the sun. Then I headed over to the Latin Quarter. I wanted to see La Sorbonne, maybe buy a sweatshirt. So I ventured over there, but you are not allowed in. So all you see is a building. After, I wandered over to the Panthéon. As soon as I learned it was free admission for students, I went in. I saw the tombs of Voltiare, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Emile Zola and Jean-Jacques Rousseau. I also saw Foucault's pendulum which proves the earth rotates. What was interesting to me was that there was a lot of unused space. This is because (I assume) they are planning on having more people entombed there. So half of the crypts are empty on account of future dead French writers, philosophers, and poets. Anyways, it was a fun little adventure.
Afterwards, I wandered again (because experience had taught me there was not a metro station very closeby). I saw Lycee Henri IV. That is where all the characters of my high school French book went to school. It's probably the most famous high school in France. Then, I ended up finding a fun little bookstore where I caved and bought a cookbook. I love cookbooks, and how could I resist Les Basiques: 80 illustrated recipes. I mean it's French cooking, I have to remember Paris somehow! When I exited the store, I saw about 4 men yelling out strawberry prices. It looked so excited I decided to venture down then street. Sure enough, it was like a little market street. Men sitting in doorways reading and waiting for the next customers, coffee tasting, wine tasting, Scallops - 12 for 12E, flowers and fruits. Everyone was just a hustle and a bustle. It was one of the most fun streets I think I have ever seen. I want to live somewhere near a fun street like that someday. I never get tired of seeing meat roasting on a spit in the middle of the street. It just looks and smells so tasty. With all the drippings landing on potatoes.
I didn't get a sweatshirt (couldn't find one), but I still consider myself triumphant. Basic French cuisine is mine to master, and yes, Jessica, it has La Ratatouille. I'll make it for you and we can watch little Remy together sometime.
It was a wonderful day, and I am still dancing on air because of Loma Linda!!

3 comments:

  1. I love that street!! We must get some neighbors over here like that. We do have two fruit stands between home and the temple,but some pastry shops and a cafe would round it out nicely. I especially love that the little child has a hat and scarf. Must get more scarfs. But then I have never worn any of the ones I do have. Hmmm. I also noted that the clock at La Sarbonne was way off! No wonder the students are not on time. Congrats again on Loma Linda Dental!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught me mom, The Sorbonne was covered in scaffolding, so I didn't even bother taking a picture. I stole that one off the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! I am so happy about le Ratatouille, I can't wait to learn how to make it with you!

    ReplyDelete