Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Alsace

Lets see, this past weekend I went to Strasbourg, Colmare, and Riquewhir. No I am not sure on the spelling, I can't even pronounce 2 of them properly. I rode my first TGV, that was exciting. I sat by Grant and watched The Flight of the Concords on his iPod. And I also slept. Ok, I mostly slept. We got there and it was COLD!! So cold. And rainy. Brr. I have been spoiled in Paris recently with some beautiful weather. This was the opposite of beautiful weather. Anyways, we had a tour of the cathedral, which was the most beautiful color. A red sandy color. So pretty. We had dinner at some famous restaurant, Chez Yvonne. It was disgusting!! I hate pork in general, I don't even like pepperonis. And we had sauerkraut and pork. Absolutely grotesque. A piece of my meat literally had hair follicles on it. And then dessert came and I said whew, but it was also repulsive. Apparently some kind of rum raisin thing. If anyone knows me at all, they know I utterly detest raisins. So that was basically the worst meal I have ever had! I was so sad.
The next morning, (sidenote: Jill didn't want to sleep on the top bunk, so we slept in the bottom bunk together, and I totally hit her in the face while we were sleeping - future husband beware!) we went to Riquewhir, which is akin to Napa Valley in ye olden days. Cute little houses, vineyards, but not much else. I bought peach gelato (another side note: they don't have ice cream so much, just gelato). From there we toured Colmare. We had a lovely lunch - plat du jour - in a small cafe where the couple next to us stared at us literally the entire time and never said a word to each other. We found a great chocolate shop and had a tour of the city. Several chocolate shops later, we discovered the fair! Now this was mainly a little kid's fair, with things like ring toss and train rides. What was painted all over these items? Oh, just naked women in scandalous poses. I know I want my 5 year old son looking at a nude woman sprawled out on the beach when he is riding Dumbo...We did find a fun looking ride called Boomerang. It was a lot of fun, until it was over and I thought I might die. I was soo sick (3 hours of straight chocolate - hey! Easter is coming up and all the chocolate is out, I was a victim!!). We drove by the EU buildings on the way home, where G20 and Obama are going this week. The next day, we stayed in Strasbourg, after a tour of Little France (why we needed to tour Little France when we live in big France is beyond me) I went to a small book market and found a few books for about a euro each. Exciting. A kabob and some pastries later, we were safely on the TGV back to Paris. That evening we went out to Sushi. It was Chris's first time. I remember my first time getting sushi, I hated it!! But now, 5 years later, I willingly pay to eat it. Funny how that works. A crepe topped off the evening and the weekend was made complete by 2 pm ward conference in Surcelles. Dinner included. Awesome. By the way: this was my absolute favorite sign I have ever seen. It means Let us seduce you with our Alsatian souvenirs.

1 comment:

  1. The mere look of the dog in the window has seduced me already. Plus the delicious looking sauerkraut. Yummy Alsace.

    ReplyDelete