Sunday, February 8, 2009

Not My Finer Moments

So I just wanted to share a few adventures I have been on and their consequences.
1. Saturday morning we wanted to have a group breakfast. So I hauled myself over to the 7th and bought some eggs to pitch in. We mainly had crepes. I felt like I was about to explode. I had all kinds of crepes. Nutella, Banana, Sugar, Raspberry, Strawberry, Whipped cream. It was great. Then it started snowing like a blizzard so no one wanted to leave. Finally, it stopped and 4 of us went for a walk to get some 'real food' and just to get some fresh air. While out and about I saw a patisserie, and there were eclairs for less than 2 euros. They were out of conventional flavors, but there was one lonely pink one. Eclaire a la rose. It sounded so cute and tasty. I asked about her, and she was half off! YES! I brought her home to devour. I took my first bite, expecting tasty goodness to ensue. It was like eating perfume. It was literally Rose flavored. Gross.
Moral of the story: maybe I should try eating real food.

2. Sometimes I get discouraged because I speak French poorly. The French talk very quietly and I can never hear them, especially in church. I have to sit in the front row. It hurts my feelings. Then to augment the situation, everyone I hang out with speaks English. It's troublesome. So I try to eavesdrop whenever possible. Mainly it's in grocery stores where it is quiet. Last night I was on the Metro with James, Brooke and Aly. I was sitting there, and it was quiet, and I overhear this delicious morsel: "Des bons chaussettes, oui, ils sont trop genials. Et seulement 30 euros! Absolutement bien". Realizing the glory of this conversation I quickly turn to James. Is that man really talking about his socks?! (James is the French teacher and getting his masters in French. If anyone could confirm or deny a report it's him). No! he says, that would be stupid. So he pauses to 'tell me what they are really saying'. "Oh. My. Gosh." He says as the man then proceeds to point to his feet and demonstrate how his socks fit. Yes, he is in fact talking about his socks. They come in a variety of colors, they fit so well, they are amazing. I laughed for 5 minutes.
Moral of the story: Eavesdropping is my favorite thing about speaking French.

3. I bought postcards to send to my family and friends. I only bought 4 stamps because I wasn't sure how many postcards I was going to send. On my first postal adventure, everything went fine. I had a nice lady, I spoke French, she understood, I got my stamps. So I waltz into La Poste, and over to the counter. Think to myself: I need 6 international stamps. Je voudrais six timbres international, s'il vous plait.
A man comes up to me, and asks me what I need.
Six stamps.
Enveloppes?
No, they are postcards.
Well you can buy the prestamped enveloppes.
I don't need enveloppes.
Yes, but they are cheaper to buy them.
Really? They are cheaper? That's odd.
Well they come in a 12 pack for 9 euros.
Oh, well I guess that is cheaper, I will take the pack I guess.
He then proceeds to show me that the postcards fit inside and it's less expensive. I was annoyed at the extra work, but I was saving like 2 euros. OR WAS I!? The pack was only 10 enveloppes! He lied to me! So it was MORE expensive and MORE of a hassle.
Moral of the story: Just get what you need, and don't go to La Poste near the Eiffel Tower. Or just stick to Pastries. Yes, that counter-acts my first moral.

1 comment: