Saturday, February 21, 2009

Twofer Saturday!

It might even be a threefer. Because I usually blog all the time, and I haven't because I keep getting too lazy to load the pictures from my camera to my computer. So now I am full of stories.
But first things first: We are finally starting our travels. So we went to Rouen on Wednesday for Art Class. What is Rouen? I was also puzzled as to why this random city in the boondocks was exciting. But it was great. There are about, oh 5 cathedrals there. Why? I don't really know. But they are like 3 blocks from each other, and they are all massive. And there is also a museum, where art was captured and then never returned (I found that highly amusing). So there was Flemish painting and still lives, and Dutch painting (not my favorites) and our art teacher dwelled on them for like 8 years. Then she was like ok, we have 10 minutes left, let's go upstairs really quick to look at one last painting. What did we walk PAST to get to the other painting?! Galleries and galleries of impressionists and lots of Monets etc. We just PASSED it. Like it wasn't important (Note: impressionist is my favorite art along with marble sculpture). Then we left! We just left! We didn't even get to linger. I was so sad. :(
To ease my saddness we had a lovely lunch - the region is famous for its use of butter and creams. Delicious. However, to aggrivate my anger, the art teacher sat next to me and made fun of us to the waiter in French, like I couldn't understand her. Ironically, she was sitting by people who all spoke French, annoying. But other than the unpleasantries of class, it was lovely. We also saw the tower where Joan of Arc was kept prisoner and where her stake was, as well as the Church of Joanne d'Arc, and the bridge where her ashes were thrown (and her heart, which did not burn oddly enough).

Secondly, my mother received a gift of a beautiful silk scarf. She gave it to me as a gift to go to France with. I was very excited to have it, and I kept it in its little box until a little while ago. I took it out and tried to put it on. Problem. It's a big square. So I can't put it neatly around my neck. In fact, I have no idea how to wear it. I brought it to dinner tonight to try to get some ideas on my scarf. What to do with it? Everyone had a turn. Some people suggested it was actually a hairscarf. I have no idea what it is really. I decided to admit my unrefinement and I'm taking it to the store tomorrow to ask them how to wear it. But in the meantime, I took these fun ideas of how to wear it. Shawl, CAPE (that was my idea), and mini-scarf.
I will save the thirdly for the next time. But I will add that I had my iTunes on shuffle and suddenly My Humps came on. I did not even know that I had that on my computer. Shout out to Aunt Karen!!!!

5 comments:

  1. So sad about the impressionists. As for the tower, I think that is also where Rapunzel was kept. And the scarf, lovely on you however you chose to wear it; but that dress, fabulous, is it also from a designer house there in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay to admit My Humps was on repeat, Julianne! I'm a big fan of the scarf cape. I'm sorry your art teacher was so lame and you missed the good art. But I really liked the Joan of Arc info and pictures. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lovely lady lumps... check it out. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girly! I hope you have a Happy Birthday. We wish we were out there with you to help you celebrate by eating some of those yummy pastries. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete